Built-in Fire Protection
D-Blaze treated lumber and plywood is designed for interior wood framing and sheathing applications where fire retardant construction materials are specified or required by building code. D-Blaze is highly effective at slowing down the spread of flame and reducing smoke development as a result of fire, giving you and your family more time to escape.
- D-Blaze®fire-retardant treated wood (FRTW) is highly effective at slowing down the spread of flame and smoke caused by fire, increasing evacuation time and potentially reducing damages and repair costs. D-Blaze FRTW effectively slows the combustion cycle of fire by forming a protective layer of char, hindering flame spread and smoke formation.
D-Blaze is recognized as a code compliant pressure-impregnated fire-retardant treatment under the International Building Code® (IBC®), International Residential Code® (IRC®) and the National Building Code of Canada® (NBC®) for lumber and plywood products used in fire-rated assemblies and interior applications where fire retardant construction materials are permitted and specified by the building codes.
Tested and listed by Underwriters Laboratories® (UL® and ULC®), D-Blaze FRTW meets the requirements of construction materials as set forth in all North American building codes. During the code required 30-minute flame and smoke test; UL 723 (ASTM E84 extended to 30 minutes), D-Blaze FRTW shows no evidence of significant progressive combustion or smoke emissions.
D-Blaze FRTW products are fire resistant, durable, non-hygroscopic, non-blooming, easy to handle, workable with common woodworking tools, and offers a lower in-place cost than materials classified as non-combustible. D-Blaze FRTW has been used in projects across North America, including the One World Trade Center in New York City, the Willis Tower; formerly the Sears Tower and the Navy Pier in Chicago.
Backed by a 50-Year Limited Warranty, D-Blaze FRTW is protected against structural failure due to strength loss caused by high temperature and high humidity conditions. (See Warranty for details.)
Built-in fire protection - D-Blaze treated lumber and plywood designed for interior applications where fire retardant construction materials are specified or required by building code.
D-Blaze FRTW meets or exceeds the testing guidelines for construction materials as established by Underwriters Laboratories UL Class A (Class 1) with FR-S Rating for Plywood and Lumber and Canada CAN/ULC S102 and S102.2.
ICC-ES Evaluation Report 2645 states the corrosion rate of aluminum (2024-T3), carbon steel (SAE 1010), or galvanized steel in contact with wood is not increased by D-Blaze fire retardant treatment when the product is used as recommended by the manufacturer. Fasteners used in D-Blaze fire retardant treated wood must be galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper, in accordance with 2009 and 2006 IBC Section 2304.9.5, 2009 IRC Section R317.3 or 2006 Section R319.3.
UL GreenGuard Gold Certified for low chemical emissions UL 281, the first FRTW of its kind to earn Green Guard certification.
D-Blaze earned qualification for the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) and the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Building Rating System. No VOC's. No Formaldehyde.
Backed by a 50-year limited warranty with 35 years of proven performance.
D-Blaze FRTW meets or exceeds the testing guidelines for construction materials as established by the following authorities and specifications.
- ICC-ES ESR-2645 D-Blaze FRTW
- OFSM BML Listing D-Blaze Plywood
- D-Blaze Design V335 2 Hr Bearing Wall Rating BXUV ANSI/UL 265 Certified US and BXUV7 - CAN/ULC-S101 Certified Canada
- D Blaze Technical Bulletin NFPA 703 12 Edition B
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin 2018 IBC Building Code Update
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin 2015 IRC Section R302 Fire Resistant Construction
- California State Fire Marshall CSFM Building Material Listing (BML) Numbers for D-Blaze Plywood and Lumber 2580 2080 0101
- D-Blaze NYC Code Acceptance (MEA Numbers 406-87 and 407-87)
- D-Blaze Substitution of FRTW for Untreated Lumber and Plywood in Manufactured Wall Assemblies
- D-Blaze GreenGuard Gold Report
- D-Blaze GreenGuard Gold Certificate
- D-Blaze and USGBC LEED and FSC Chain of Custody Information
- National Building Code of Canada
- AWPA Standardized (P50, U1, UCFA) Interior Type A High Temperature (HT) FRTW
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin Construction Type Definitions
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin FAQs
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin Fasteners for Use in D-Blaze FRTW
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin Handling Requirements
- FRTW Construction Type Use
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin – Contact with Concrete or Masonry Foundations
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin USGBC LEED for Wood Products
- D-Blaze Green Guard Fact Sheet
- D-Blaze GreenGuard Gold Report
- D-Blaze and Concrete Contact
- D-Blaze USGBC LEED for Wood Products
- D-Blaze Finishing and Adhesives