Built-in Fire Protection
D-Blaze treated lumber and plywood is designed for interior wood framing and sheathing applications where fire retardant construction materials are specified or required by building code. D-Blaze is highly effective at slowing down the spread of flame and reducing smoke development as a result of fire, giving you and your family more time to escape.
- D-Blaze®fire-retardant treated wood (FRTW) is highly effective at slowing down the spread of flame and smoke caused by fire, increasing evacuation time and potentially reducing damages and repair costs. D-Blaze FRTW effectively slows the combustion cycle of fire by forming a protective layer of char, hindering flame spread and smoke formation.
D-Blaze is recognized as a code compliant pressure-impregnated fire-retardant treatment under the International Building Code® (IBC®), International Residential Code® (IRC®) and the National Building Code of Canada® (NBC®) for lumber and plywood products used in fire-rated assemblies and interior applications where fire retardant construction materials are permitted and specified by the building codes.
Tested and listed by Underwriters Laboratories® (UL® and ULC®), D-Blaze FRTW meets the requirements of construction materials as set forth in all North American building codes. During the code required 30-minute flame and smoke test; UL 723 (ASTM E84 extended to 30 minutes), D-Blaze FRTW shows no evidence of significant progressive combustion or smoke emissions.
D-Blaze FRTW products are fire resistant, durable, non-hygroscopic, non-blooming, easy to handle, workable with common woodworking tools, and offers a lower in-place cost than materials classified as non-combustible. D-Blaze FRTW has been used in projects across North America, including the One World Trade Center in New York City, the Willis Tower; formerly the Sears Tower and the Navy Pier in Chicago.
Backed by a 50-Year Limited Warranty, D-Blaze FRTW is protected against structural failure due to strength loss caused by high temperature and high humidity conditions. (See Warranty for details.)
Built-in fire protection - D-Blaze treated lumber and plywood designed for interior applications where fire retardant construction materials are specified or required by building code.
D-Blaze FRTW meets or exceeds the testing guidelines for construction materials as established by Underwriters Laboratories UL Class A (Class 1) with FR-S Rating for Plywood and Lumber and Canada CAN/ULC S102 and S102.2.
UL GreenGuard Gold Certified for low chemical emissions UL 281, the first FRTW of its kind to earn Green Guard certification.
D-Blaze earned qualification for the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) and the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Building Rating System. No VOC's. No Formaldehyde.
Backed by a 50-year limited warranty with 35 years of proven performance.
D-Blaze FRTW meets or exceeds the testing guidelines for construction materials as established by the following authorities and specifications.
- ICC-ES ESR-2645 D-Blaze FRTW
- OFSM BML Listing D-Blaze Plywood
- D-Blaze Design V335 2 Hr Bearing Wall Rating BXUV ANSI/UL 265 Certified US and BXUV7 - CAN/ULC-S101 Certified Canada
- D Blaze Technical Bulletin NFPA 703 12 Edition B
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin 2018 IBC Building Code Update
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin 2015 IRC Section R302 Fire Resistant Construction
- California State Fire Marshall CSFM Building Material Listing (BML) Numbers for D-Blaze Plywood and Lumber 2580 2080 0101
- D-Blaze NYC Code Acceptance (MEA Numbers 406-87 and 407-87)
- D-Blaze Substitution of FRTW for Untreated Lumber and Plywood in Manufactured Wall Assemblies
- D-Blaze GreenGuard Gold Report
- D-Blaze GreenGuard Gold Certificate
- D-Blaze and USGBC LEED and FSC Chain of Custody Information
- National Building Code of Canada
- AWPA Standardized (P50, U1, UCFA) Interior Type A High Temperature (HT) FRTW
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin Construction Type Definitions
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin FAQs
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin Fasteners for Use in D-Blaze FRTW
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin Handling Requirements
- FRTW Construction Type Use
- D-Blaze Technical Bulletin USGBC LEED for Wood Products
- D-Blaze Green Guard Fact Sheet
- D-Blaze GreenGuard Gold Report
- D-Blaze and Concrete Contact
- D-Blaze USGBC LEED for Wood Products
- D-Blaze Finishing and Adhesives